The IOM's Regional Director for East and the Horn of Africa, Mohammed Abdiker, also tweeted Tuesday that "grim pictures" of "children's bodies ashore" have now emerged. A tweet from Abdiker earlier said that at least 16 children were among the dead.
A press release from the IOM on Tuesday said that the 60 "migrants were being transported by people smugglers" from Yemen to Djibouti and that this was the second tragedy of this nature "in just over a month."
Last month's tragedy saw smugglers throw 80 people overboard due to overcrowding, causing at least 20 people to drown, the press release said.
"Every year, tens of thousands of young African migrants from the region make the dangerous journey from countries like Somalia and Ethiopia through Djibouti and Yemen in search for work in the Gulf," according to the press release. The cause of the capsize remains unclear although many journeys are currently "being undertaken aboard unseaworthy vessels by migrants desperate to return home on a near daily basis."
|Read the full story:|