Friday
May 7 2021
12:46 PM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

WORLD NEWS

Prev story

96-year-old accused of being Nazi camp guard is deemed 'unfit' for trial

   March 12, 2021 12:42 AM
Next story

by Claudia Otto and Sara Spary, CNN

Story Source


World Stories Search World World Index


 
Stutthof Nazi
 
Berlin (CNN)A 96-year-old man accused of being an SS guard at the Stutthof camp in Nazi-occupied Poland has been deemed "unfit to stand trial."

The man, named only as "Harry S.," is alleged to have been stationed at the concentration camp -- where it is estimated 65,000 people were murdered during the Holocaust. The court in Wuppertal, Germany, had been due to try him of having "aided and abetted [the] murder [of] several hundred [people]," court judge and spokesman Christian Lange told CNN. But owing to his inability to "conduct the defense in an understandable and comprehensible manner" the trial will no longer take place, Lange said. The court has decided, however, that he must "bear the expenses incurred by him in the proceedings himself." Harry S. is accused of having served as a guard at the Nazi concentration camp, near the Polish city now called Gdansk, between June 1944 and May 1945.

While there the court allege there is "strong evidence" that he guarded the transportation of 598 prisoners to Auschwitz-Birkenau, where 596 were murdered in gas chambers. The identity of the victims was not disclosed but historically prisoners of the camp included many Jews as well as non-Jewish Poles. Lange told CNN that Harry S. is alleged to have been part of a group of 11 men who guarded transport of prisoners to Auschwitz. He was thought to either be stationed inside the Stutthof camp or inside the camp's watch towers, where his duty was also to guard security, Lange added.

   Read the full story: Full story