June 14 2021
3:03 PM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Previous story FBI and SWAT Team Take Suspected ID Thief into custody Next story

Story by Jennifer Kennedy - The Oregon Herald
Published on Friday March 5, 2010 - 12:09 PM
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
SALEM, Oregon - A long police standoff in northwest Salem ended Thursday with police taking an identity theft suspect into custody. Salem police and FBI agents arrived at the Rosewood Lane Apartments on Marine Drive at about 11:30 a.m. to make contact with 37-year-old Adam Williams regarding theft and forgery charges, said Lt. Dave Okada. Williams refused to open the door and told police he had a hostage, weapons and possibly explosives, Okada said. A SWAT team was called to assist as detectives tried to convince Williams to surrender. Officers said Williams refused to come out, leading them to fire several rounds of tear gas into the home. Williams continued to defy orders, police said, and at one point, he leaned out the window of the third-story apartment and yelled at officers. "Pretty much they were just pointing guns at the building for a while," said Dan Maslanik, who lives nearby. "They dumped tear gas in from both sides through the windows."

Okada said the SWAT team entered the apartment at about 4:45 p.m. through the front door, which was barricaded with furniture, and found Williams standing with two knives held to his throat. He was subdued and suffered self-inflicted, non-life-threatening wounds in the process, officers said. Williams was taken to Salem Hospital. Amanda Attleberger, who lives below Williams, said she wasn't surprised to see police surround her neighbor's apartment.

"He doesn't seem like a mean guy or anything like that, just not very considerate," she said. "He likes to play music really loud in the middle of the night. He likes to, we assume, consume alcohol." Amy Skiftun lives nearby and said watching the police activity was stressful. "Especially when no one is telling you what's going on and you see big vehicles," she said. Okada said the investigation into Williams centered around stolen credit cards and a fake Oregon identification card. When Williams is released from the hospital, he's expected to be booked into jail on charges of identity theft and forgery. Further charges are pending, police said.