June 15 2021
4:54 AM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Previous story Police Report on Man Dying In Front Of Portland Adventist Hospital Next story

Story by Larry Fitzpatrick - The Oregon Herald
Published on Tuesday February 15, 2011 - 12:07 PM
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Police have now determined that based on information from a witness, Birgilio Marin-Fuentes crashed into a support beam near the hospital around 12:27 a.m. A bystander Intercepted Officer Angela Luty who was on her way out of the emergency on different business. Police said she immediately called dispatch for help from other officers.

A couple minutes later, Officer Luty began CPR on Marin-Fuentes. Two additional officers arrived at the hospital's emergency room in an attempt to get help but were told by hospital staff they first had to call an ambulance because they couldn't treat anyone unless they were inside the hospital. The net result, according to police, is that Marin-Fuentes died.

However, Police Chief Mike Reese does not necessarily agree. He said Tuesday that medical workers did everything they could or should have done — except communicate well with the officers.

Read the 20 page police report just released.

Previous story:

Birgilio Marin-Fuentes, 61, died shortly afterwards from cardiac complications. He had driven to Portland Adventist Medical Center shortly after midnight Thursday, unable to sleep or stop coughing. He then crashed his car into a pillar wall under an "emergency parking only" sign about one hundred or so feet from the emergency room entrance.

Officers who were on scene rushed to help him, and one officer went inside the hospital to request help.

"The officer was told it is hospital policy that they don't treat people outside their hospital and they need to call an ambulance," said Sgt. Pete Simpson with the Portland Police.

While one officer performed CPR, another officer called for an ambulance. According to police, six minutes later an ambulance arrived and medics picked the man up and wheeled him via a gurney the short distance inside the hospital.

"Hospital said they won't come out. We need to contact AMR first," the officer is heard telling dispatch on the radio call.

"No policy is going to prevent a Portland Police officer from helping someone in need," said police Sgt. Simpson.