September 18 2021
1:14 PM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Previous story Japan seeks support for Fukushima nuclear water release Next story

Story by MARI YAMAGUCHI - Story Source
Published on Tuesday August 24, 2021 - 10:05 AM
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
The Trojan Nuclear Power Plant was a water reactor nuclear power plant located southeast of Rainier, Oregon. It was the only commercial nuclear power plant to be built in Oregon. There was a lot of public opposition to the plant from the design stage. The three main opposition groups were the Trojan Decommissioning Alliance, Forelaws on the Board, and Mothers for Peace. There were largely non-violent protests from 1977, and subsequent arrests of participants.

The plant was shut down in December 1975.

Japan's government adopted an interim plan Tuesday that it hopes will win support from fishermen and other concerned groups for a planned release into the sea of treated but still radioactive water from the wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant.

The government decided in April to start discharging the water into the Pacific Ocean in the spring of 2023 after building a facility and compiling release plans under safety requirements set by regulators. The idea has been fiercely opposed by fishermen, residents and Japan's neighbors including China and South Korea.

Under the plan adopted Tuesday, the government will set up a fund to buy fisheries products and freeze them for temporary storage to cushion the impact from negative rumors about the discharge. The government will also help promote Fukushima products to restaurants and other food industries.

The government also plans to start raising fish in the water treated to levels allowable for discharge as part of a safety awareness campaign. Further details have yet to be decided.

The accumulating water has been stored in about 1,000 tanks at the Fukushima Daiichi plant since 2011, when a massive earthquake and tsunami damaged its reactors and their cooling water became contaminated and began leaking. The plant says its storage capacity will be full late next year.