July 31 2021
8:32 AM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Previous story Robbery of Downtown Store Leads to Numerous Charges for Tyrone J. Lee. Next story

Story by The Oregon Herald Staff
Published on Monday June 7, 2021 - 2:02 AM
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
PORTLAND, Oregon - A man is facing numerous charges after robbing a downtown department store and assaulting security and officers.

On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 6:15p.m., Central Precinct Officers were dispatched to a disturbance call at a department store in the 700 block of Southwest Broadway. Updates were given that a suspect was stealing items, assaulting people, and breaking things in the store. Dispatch updated responding officers that shots were fired and some callers were reporting an active shooter. Officers arrived and learned the suspect had left. They also confirmed that no shots were fired.

An officer located the suspect, later identified as Tyrone J. Lee, 36, at Southwest 9th Avenue and Southwest Washington Street. Lee started running. The officer followed Lee until more units could arrive. Once several officers arrived, they approached Lee at Northwest Broadway and Northwest Glisan Street. Lee punched an officer and started to run away again. The officer deployed his Conducted Electrical Weapon (CEW or Taser) on Lee, which was effective and allowed the officers to handcuff him without using any additional force. Paramedics were requested to remove the probes. The officer was not injured.

After he was arrested, Lee told officers he swallowed heroin and was suicidal, so officers requested an ambulance and he was taken to a hospital.

Officers investigated and learned that Lee had been caught shoplifting and punched a security guard in the face when she tried to get the stolen items back. The security guard retrieved the items and retreated back into the store, but Lee followed her. He was screaming threats to shoot the security guard, then began destroying property. He tipped over at least two large metal and glass displays, which caused loud noises that some customers thought were gunshots. Customers and employees began fleeing the store, and one employee fell and suffered minor injuries. No gun was ever seen.

Lee was issued a criminal citation in lieu of custody for Robbery in the Third Degree, Theft in the First Degree, Criminal Mischief in the First Degree, Assaulting a Public Safety Officer, Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree, and Escape in the Third Degree.