Friday
April 23 2021
10:50 PM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Oregon man faces federal kidnapping charge following Northstate pursuit
Previous story
Story by Associated Press - Story Source
Next story
   
 
MEDFORD, Oregon (AP) — A Southern Oregon man faces a new federal charge accusing him of forcing a man across state lines for ransom last year.

The kidnapping sparked a police chase in the Northstate in which an officer held onto the side of a moving vehicle until the suspect pulled over.

46-year-old David Brian Scott was charged Monday in U.S. District Court in Medford with kidnapping, the Mail Tribune reported.

He is accused of forcing a 30-year-old man to travel into California in an attempt to collect a disputed $25,000 debt, according to an affidavit filed by an FBI special agent based in Portland.

On Sept. 5, Scott made contact with the victim at a Medford warehouse by pretending to have car trouble and asking the victim to fill a jug of water for his vehicle, according to statements the victim and other witnesses gave the FBI.

Scott then used a taser on the victim and poured water on him, the affidavit says.

Scott said he was there to collect $25,000 owed to another person and forced the victim into the passenger seat of his Chevrolet Avalanche, according to court documents.

The victim made contact with friends in Yuba City and told them that he had been kidnapped, documents said.

Read full story