Friday
April 23 2021
11:15 AM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Oregon man charged in 2 killings that took place 2 decades apart
Previous story
Story by GILLIAN FLACCUS Associated Press - Story Source
Next story
   
 
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A Portland, Oregon man accused of killing two strangers who disappeared 20 years apart pleaded not guilty Thursday to murder charges. Cold case DNA evidence led authorities to Christopher Lovrien's home, where police said they found the dismembered remains of the second victim.

Police arrested Lovrien, 53, in May after forensic genealogy linked him to the 1999 disappearance — and presumed death — of Mark Dribin, an airline cargo worker. Authorities searching a shed at Lovrien's home several weeks after his arrest found the dismembered remains of another man, Kenneth Griffin, who had gone missing three months earlier.

Dribin's body has not been found.

Lovrien faces two counts of second-degree murder, one count of abuse of a corpse and six counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Investigators believe the two victims were strangers to Lovrien and to each other.

The Multnomah County District Attorney's Office asked anyone with information about missing people who had been living under the Interstate 205 bridge in southeast Portland between the summer of 2019 and last May and had contact with Lovrien to call police.

Lovrien, a metal fabricator, was not homeless and did not live under the bridge, they said. Authorities declined to say why they were focused on the bridge and on that time period.