May 12 2021
2:06 PM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Previous story Three Men sentenced for homicide of 17-year-old boy Next story

Story by Oregon Herald staff
Published on Tuesday January 8, 2019 - 9:38 PM

PORTLAND, Oregon - Friday, three men pleaded guilty and were sentenced to prison for killing 17-year-old Shawn Scott Jr.

Shawn Scott was killed on April 11, 2017, in Portland's Holladay Park, near Lloyd Center. The homicide happened as Scott was being robbed at gunpoint for his artistic belt. He was a junior at Union High School.

Kole Jones, 20, appeared in Multnomah County Circuit Court on November 21, 2018 and pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree and attempted robbery in the first degree with a firearm. He received a 19 year prison sentence.

Miguel Thompson, 20, appeared in Multnomah County Circuit Court on November 30, 2018 and pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the second degree and robbery in the first degree. He received a 13 year and nine month prison sentence on January 4, 2019.

Malique Kinnerly-Hicks, 18, appeared in Multnomah County Circuit Court on November 18, 2018 and pleaded guilty to robbery in the first degree. He received a 7.5 year prison sentence that shall be served at the Oregon Youth Authority.

The investigation began on April 11, 2017 when police responded to Holladay Park after receiving 9-1-1 calls about a shooting. Upon arrival, law enforcement located Mr. Scott suffering from a fatal gunshot wound. During the investigation, members of the Portland Police Bureau's Homicide Detail were able to identify Jones, Thompson and Kinnerly-Hicks as the three suspects in Mr. Scott's death.

"That kid who meant nothing to you meant everything to his little brother and sister, his mother, his family and friends. We all loved him and needed him. I cannot express the agony I felt that day when the police showed up to my door to tell me that you killed my son. I can never put into words the torment that I feel everyday knowing that my son is gone and he is never coming home," Mr. Scott's mother, Natasha Hunter, said in a statement read by the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office during Thompson's sentencing hearing.

Law enforcement reviewed surveillance video that showed the three defendants approach Mr. Scott who was standing near a tree in Holladay Park in northeast Portland, Oregon. The video shows Scott and Thompson speaking during what was determined to be a sale of alcohol. After the transaction, the three defendants start to walk away but immediately return and surround Mr. Scott. Jones is seen on video pulling out a handgun and pointing the barrel of the gun in the middle of Mr. Scott's back. Jones assaults Mr. Scott with the gun by hitting him over the head, causing a bullet to be fired, killing Shawn Scott.

The three defendants ran from the scene.

Police learned that the defendants were planning to rob Mr. Scott of his designer belt.

"Junior was an amazing kid. He was the most loyal person I have ever known. He was the most generous person, he would do anything he could for those he loved. He was an irreplaceable friend that was always a shoulder to lean on and a support to anyone who needed it. He would always encourage others and do anything that he could to bring a smile to their face. He was always joking and laughing and full of energy, full of life. He was irreplaceable," Ms. Hunter's statement read.