Monday
June 14 2021
1:21 PM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index


Previous story Owners of electrocuted dog seek $60,000 in damages Next story


Story
Published on Saturday March 12, 2011 - 11:20 AM
 
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
SEATTLE -- The owners of a dog electrocuted on a Seattle utility cover last year have filed a claim against the city for $60,000 in damages, blaming it for failing to ensure that the electrical system in the area was safe.

Owners Lisa McKibbin and Nancy Bostdorff mailed their claim Friday. Their lawyer, Adam Karp, said their dog, Sammy, a 6-year-old German shorthaired pointer, was a beloved member of the family, whose painful death had caused them great distress.

"My clients loved Sammy as if he were their child," Karp wrote in the claim.

McKibbin had been walking the dog in Queen Anne last November, when he stepped on a metal sidewalk plate conducting 90 volts, convulsed, and died. The plate was part of a system of four decorative streetlamps improperly grounded by a private contractor. The bad installation - coupled with a pinched wire in a lamphead - had led to the shock hazard, the city discovered after the death.

Full Story on Seattle PI.