June 24 2021
4:42 AM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Previous story Police Arrest Sex Offender Armed With Hatchet, Rescue Missing Juvenile Next story

Story by The Oregon Herald staff
Published on Saturday May 22, 2021 - 1:52 AM
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
PORTLAND, Oregon - A sex offender was arrested after officers discovered him with a missing juvenile and convinced him to drop a hatchet.

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 11:33p.m., East Precinct officers were dispatched to a report of a suspicious vehicle parked in the 14600 block of Southeast Harrison Street. Officers arrived and found two unconscious males inside, one adult and one that appeared to be a juvenile. An officer recognized the adult as Jeremy M. Fanning, 34, who is a registered sex offender. They were concerned for the health and welfare of both people, but especially the juvenile. Their concerns were further heightened by what appeared to be drug paraphernalia seen in the car. The officers made numerous attempts to rouse them over about 10 minutes. When that was not successful, an officer breached the driver's side window. This caused Fanning and the juvenile to wake up. Fanning was hostile and turned the car on, put it in gear, and tried to drive away. He was unable to move because police vehicles had pinned the car in place. An officer broke another window hoping to unlock the door and rescue the juvenile.

Officers were trying to convince the juvenile to get out, but Fanning appeared to be coaching him to refuse the officers request. Officers eventually placed a note on the window where only the juvenile could see it saying that they were concerned for his safety with Fanning. The juvenile then got out of the car and was moved to a safe location with the officers.

Fanning continued to refuse to come out, arming himself with what appeared to be a hatchet. After multiple verbal warnings that force would be used against him if he did not come out, officers deployed OC (pepper) spray into the car. That was effective at getting him to put down the weapon and come out.

The entire encounter lasted roughly and hour and a half. Officers used numerous de-escalation and crisis communication techniques to effectively resolve the situation.

Fanning was arrested and treated at the scene by paramedics. He was then booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center on charges of Failure to Register as a Sex Offender, Attempt to Elude by Vehicle, Reckless Driving, Endangering the Welfare of a Minor, and Interfering with a Peace Officer.

The juvenile, 17, was evaluated medically and then transported to a shelter for runaway youth.