May 17 2021
9:37 AM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Previous story Driver Arrested For Crash That Killed Two People Next story

Story by The Oregon Herald Staff
Published on Monday December 14, 2020 - 1:31 AM

On Saturday, December 12, 2020 at 10:42p.m., East Precinct officers were called to a report of a traffic crash on Northeast Halsey Street west of Northeast 162nd Avenue. When officers arrived, they located two vehicles wrecked. Paramedics responded and determined that two patients were deceased. Two other patients were seriously injured and transported to the hospital by ambulance.

The Portland Police Traffic Division Major Crash Team responded to lead the investigation.

Northeast Halsey Street was closed between Northeast 160th Avenue and Northeast 162nd Avenue.

East precinct officers responded at the intersection of Northeast Halsey Street and Northeast 162nd Avenue. One vehicle was located in a parking lot with significant intrusion to the driver side of the car as a result of a "T-bone" style collision. Both the driver and the passenger of that vehicle were deceased. Their names are not being released at this time.

The second vehicle had significant damage to the front end. A passenger in that vehicle was pinned in and had to be extracted. Witnesses and officers saw other people possibly associated with the crash leave the area before they could get to them.

The Major Crash Team (MCT) responded to the scene for the investigation. Investigators located businesses in the area, which had very good camera systems and allowed for video to be collected. The video indicated speed was a likely factor in the crash.

MCT investigators learned that the driver had fled the scene. The vehicle in which the suspect was driving was later reported stolen from the Lloyd Center area. MCT investigators obtained information that led them to believe the suspect was in a hotel near the Lloyd Center. MCT responded to the hotel where they were able to contact and interview the suspect, who had blood on his sweatshirt. The suspect subsequently confessed to being the driver in the collision and he was taken into custody.

The driver, 18 year-old Tyviant Tilden Mancilla, was transported to a precinct for further questioning. Following the interview, Mancilla was taken to a hospital to be evaluated for injury due to airbag deployment. Mancilla was then transported to and booked at the Multnomah County Detention Center for the charge of Failure to Perform the Duties of a Driver (Hit and Run) involving serious injury or death. Additional charges may be added later.

Officer Garrett Dow of the MCT is the lead investigator of this fatal crash. If anyone has information related to this incident, please contact Officer Dow at [email protected] or 503-823-5070.

This is the 50th MCT callout of 2020 and the 54th and 55th fatalities of 2020.