Thursday
November 21 2019
7:46 PM
Page width:
Portland man receives 30 month prison for child porn conviction
by Oregon Herald staff
  Tuesday October 22, 2019 - 3:45 AM
 
PORTLAND, Oregon - On Monday, Multnomah County District Attorney Rod Underhill announced that 34-year-old Carl Phillip Sussman received a 30 month prison sentence and must register as a sex offender after the court convicted him of one count of attempting to use a child in a display of sexually explicit conduct and one count of encouraging child sexual abuse in the first degree.

The court imposed a 30 month prison sentence and ordered that Sussman register as a sex offender.

"This is both an appropriate and important sentence because it recognizes the seriousness of child sexual exploitation and it also provides Mr. Sussman with treatment options so he never engages in conduct like this again," said Multnomah County Deputy District Attorney BJ Park, who prosecuted this case.

In addition, the court imposed a 60 month probation sentence. As part of the court's order, Sussman will need to receive a sex offender evaluation and comply with any treatment that is ordered. He will not be allowed to congregate in any location where minors are present and cannot have any contact with minors, unless otherwise approved by his probation officer.

As part of his change of plea, Sussman agreed to pay a total of $150,000 in financial compensation. That money will be used to assist the victims identified in this case pay for mental health counseling.

This investigation started in December 2018 when the Portland Police Bureau's Child Abuse Team received a cybertip from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. During the investigation, law enforcement located hundreds of sexually explicit images of children being raped and sexually assaulted.

During the investigation, law enforcement reviewed the images of child sexual exploitation and identified three victims. One of the victims identified frequently visited Sussman's residence in 2013 when she was 13 years old. By changing his plea, Sussman stipulated that there is sufficient evidence to show that he attempted to unlawfully and knowingly take a sexually explicit visual recording of the 13 year old while she was sleeping and that he was in possession of and disseminated child pornography.

Had the statute of limitation not expired, law enforcement believes Sussman could have been indicted for unlawfully delivering a controlled substance to a minor and for unlawfully contributing to the sexual delinquency of a minor.

The other two victims were previously sexually assaulted by someone other than Sussman and during that abuse, a visual recording was manufactured and then uploaded to the internet.

"Every time child pornography files are uploaded, downloaded, shared, or transferred or otherwise exchanged, these minors are re-victimized and that victimization will last a lifetime," said DDA Park.

Upon his release, Sussman will be on three years of post-prison supervision.

The Multnomah County District Attorney's Office recognizes the work of the Portland Police Bureau's Child Abuse Team, the Oregon Department of Justice, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, the Gresham Police Department, and the Oregon Department of Human Services for their dedicated efforts investigating this case.


Image Search:    |    
Last 24 Hours    |    Last 7 Days    |    All Time

Story Search:    |    Last 24 Hours    |    Last 7 Days    |    All Time