NEWBERG, Oregon - At 9:30 a.m. Newberg and Dundee Fire departments and Newberg Public Works responded to an emergency kcall. Staff and students at George Fox University in Newberg have been evacukated due to a highly acidic, explosive chemical needing containment. Reports say one of the lab techs was given a bottle of picric acid, which is safe in liquid form. However, the rim of the cap was dry.
When it's dry, it becomes potentially explosive.
The lab technician called police and thehe Edwards Holman Science Center was evacuated.
Several other buildings were evacuated on campus. Classes will resume once the acid is removed, which officials hope to occur soon.
The evacuation and caution perimeter included two to three blocks all around the campus. The chemistry building is in the center of the campus. Only parts of the campus were evacuated.
The OSP Bomb Squad responded.