Friday
November 17 2017
6:53 PM
Page width:
Apartment Fire in at SW Salmon
by Oregon State Media, Inc.
  Monday November 6, 2017 - 3:19 AM
 
PORTLAND, Oregon - Firefighters were dispatched to an apartment fire (929 SW Salmon St) at 9:23PM. Initial reports indicated that the third floor was filling up with smoke and that residents were evacuating the building. Fire crews quickly made their way to the fire room and put out the remaining fire. The building's sprinkler system helped contain the fire, giving the firefighters the needed time to simultaneously do a search of the unit. There is an investigator on scene to determine the cause and assess damage. No one was injured during this incident.

Heating is the second leading cause of home fires (USFA). Portable space heaters are the top cause of fire deaths from home heating equipment.

- Never use the stove or oven to heat your home.

- Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including furniture, blankets, curtains, and paper products.

- Choose space heaters that turn off automatically if they tip over.

- Never use a space heater to dry clothing.

- Avoid kerosene heaters. They can emit poisonous fumes.