June 19 2019
12:56 AM
Page width:
Man Arrested After Causing Death Of His Girlfriend
by Oregon State Media, Inc.
  Wednesday September 13, 2017 - 9:27 AM
PORTLAND, Oregon - A man has been arrested after he threw his girlfriend across the room where she landed on her face onto a concrete floor.

It all began late evening on Sept. 10. 29-year-old Shay Martinez of Portland arrived at Mt. Hood Medical Center with multiple traumatic injuries. Due to the severity of her injuries, she was quickly transported by ambulance to Emanuel Hospital for treatment. The East County Major Crimes Team was called out early on Sept. 11, 2017 to investigate the circumstances which led to her injuries.

Jose Funes, a 30-year-old from Gresham, has been arrested and charged with first-degree domestic abuse assault after Gresham police say he seriously injured Shay Martinez, 29. Martinez later died from her injuries.

Funes is currently being held at the Multnomah County Detention Center on $250,000.00 bail. Investigators learned Martinez and Funes were involved in a relationship which resulted in the Domestic Violence designation of the charges.

On the morning of Sept. 12, 2017, Martinez died because of her injuries. Investigators have provided the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office with that information for consideration of additional or updated charges against Funes.

She was unconscious, reportedly vomiting blood and covered in bruises, the affidavit said.

An emergency room doctor determined she had severe brain swelling and bleeding and a right orbital floor fracture, which is caused when a blunt object strikes the eye.

The doctor treating Martinez described her injuries as "significant and horrific," including brain bleeding on her left frontal lobe.

Because of the severity of her injuries, Martinez was taken by ambulance to Legacy Emanuel hospital.

Police said Funes and Martinez were in a relationship for about a year. Funes does not have any prior arrests or convictions on his adult record, according to court documents.

Funes could not sufficiently answer why Martinez was injured, the affidavit said.

At first, Funes told detectives that her injuries came from her job at Fed Ex. He later admitted that, at 5 a.m. Sunday, he threw her about 10 feet across his bedroom, which has a concrete floor covered with carpet, the affidavit said.

Martinez landed on her face, then immediately started to snore and bleed from the nose, the affidavit said. Funes said he put her to bed and did not check on her again until 3 p.m. She did not respond when he tried to wake her, but still had a pulse, the affidavit said.


Image Search:    |    
Last 24 Hours    |    Last 7 Days    |    All Time

Story Search:    |    Last 24 Hours    |    Last 7 Days    |    All Time