Wednesday
May 24 2017
8:02 PM
0  0
Page width:
Four residents displaced from home after early morning kitchen fire
by Oregon State Media, Inc.
  Tuesday February 23, 2016 - 8:28 AM
 
Kelso- Firefighters from Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue and Longview Fire responded to a structure fire Tuesday morning at 3:07 in the 1000 block on N. 2nd Ave. The fire started in the kitchen after food was left on the stove which ignited the wall and cabinet above it. The four residents were able to evacuate the home with their dog after noticing smoke coming from the kitchen. Fire crews extinguished and removed the smoldering cabinet and extinguished hot spots in the walls and ceiling. Firefighters removed a pet ferret, which was still alive, and released it to the residents. The Red Cross will be aiding the residents with housing and other needs. Fire officials estimate damage to the home and contents to $15,000. The fire is believed to be accidental; no injuries were reported.

Two fire engines, a medic unit, and a chief officer responded to the fire. Cowlitz County Public Utility District also responded to secure the power.