July 19 2019
3:52 PM
More Stories
Page width:
Baltimore police charged in Freddie Gray's death

Friday May 1, 2015    1:08 PM

Six Baltimore officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray from an injury he received while in police custody. Five of the officers surrendered to face criminal charges on Friday.

Baltimore State's Atty. Marilyn Mosby said on Friday that Gray's death had been officially ruled a homicide and that the investigation by city police and her office had found probable cause to charge all six officers.

"No one is above the law," said Mosby, standing on the marble steps of Baltimore's War Memorial Building. As she announced the indictments, several citizens standing behind television cameras jubilantly shouted.

Gray's death from a spinal injury put Baltimore at the center of protests over relations between blacks and police, a sometimes fierce debate that has stretched from the streets of the nation's cities including Ferguson, Mo., and New York to the White House. Hundreds of demonstrators have been arrested in Baltimore and elsewhere in recent days.

Gray's death, protests over it, and rioting on Monday after his funeral, pitted much of the city's African American community against the police department, which is perceived as being unduly tough on blacks. Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, whose family has long been active in the African American community and in electoral politics, was caught in the middle and took heat from protesters and police.

At a two-minute news conference where she took no questions, Rawlings-Blake pledged to "continue to be relentless in changing the culture of the police department."

"To those of you who want to engage in brutality, misconduct, racism and corruption, let me be clear: There is no place for you in the Baltimore City Police Department," the mayor said.

"There will be justice for Mr. Gray," Rawlings-Blake said. "Justice must apply to all of us equally."

Earlier, Mosby spoke directly to the protesters who have marched in Baltimore and around the nation.

"I heard your call for no justice, no peace," Mosby said, "but your peace is sincerely needed as I work to bring justice for Freddie Gray."

Gray died on April 19, a week after he was arrested by Baltimore police. Gray, hands cuffed behind him, was placed in a police van to be taken to the precinct, where he was expected to be charged with illegally possessing a knife, according to charging papers released by police weeks ago.

On Friday Mosby said the initial arrest lacked probable cause. The knife that was hidden in Gray's clothes was not a switchblade as first reported and was legal under Maryland law.

Image Search:    |     Last 48 Hours     |     Last 30 Days     |     All Time

Story Search:    |     Last 48 Hours     |     Last 30 Days     |     All Time